Friday, 15 August 2014

Hit, Hit, and Miss: Drugstore Foundations


I don't know about you guys but I love me some drugstore makeup! In-fact, almost all of my makeup collection came from the drugstore. There is just something about affordable cosmetics that I just cannot seem to say no to, and I know I am not the only one. In this post I have three of my current drugstore foundations and my thoughts on each, enjoy.

If you have been reading my blog for a long time or even stalking my Instagram you are probably well aware that this foundation is my holy grail. I just cannot get enough! Having oily/combination skin can be rather frustrating sometimes since I want my skin to look perfectly matte without emphasizing the fact that I also have dry patches and this foundation hides this rather well if I do say so myself. The Colorstay foundation range also comes in nine shades in differing tones. Which brings me to my next point; this foundation, or at least the shade I purchase, is yellow-toned, can I get a hallelujah! Dramatic, I know but having yellow-toned, pale skin can make colour matching difficult at the best of times which is probably why I attached myself to this foundation so early in my makeup journey. Definitely recommend.

Leighannsays definitely persuaded my purchasing of this foundation. Firstly, I want to say that although I own the palest shade in the collection it is still about two shades too dark. Being Winter here in Australia I am currently at my palest so I am hoping to get my tan on in the next few months so I can actually show this foundation the love it deserves. Yes, even in the wrong shade I still cannot go past this formula. It is the fullest coverage I have come across at the drugstore with major long-lasting effects, all the while keeping my skin demi-matte. 3-in-1? Yes indeed. 

After two hits I bring you my drugstore foundation miss. If like me you have yellow-toned skin or oily skin then this foundation is not even worth picking up. While it does come in twelve shades therefore catering to those of the paler skin type the shades are very pink-toned. Putting the tone aside I have been trying to properly test out the foundation for some time now but always with the same ending result. Foundation that seems to magically disappear off my face after about just two hours of wear, even with a primer. With that in mind I think it is safe to say I will not be repurchasing.


That is it for me this week, hope you enjoyed the post. It feels good to be back into the swing of blogging again! If you have any post requests I always love to hear them. If you want to hear from me more don't forget to find me on twitter. Hope you have an awesome weekend and don't forget to enjoy the sunshine 

25 comments:

  1. Revlon is an awesome brand, have their photoready foundation and love it! thanks for sharing debra, you've got a great blog

    Jennos Health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Photoready is the only Revlon foundation I havn't tried yet, haha. Thanks for the lovely comment :)

      Delete
  2. I was set on getting the Nearly Naked foundation but when I went to swatch it in the shop it was the complete wrong colour for me! I was gutted xxx

    Blog This With Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm surprised you don't like the nearly naked foundation although I do get what you mean with the shades, The colourstay for oily/combination skin is a foundation I use most days, it's so good! x

    EmmiHearts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it lasted on my skin I would probably like it more but two hours just isn't enough wear time :/ At least there's plenty more out there to try!

      Delete
  4. I use the same Revlon Colorstay! Really love it. I know this comment is pretty shallow but, I love your hair color ;)
    followed you on GFC, hope you can follow me back ;)

    besos,
    M
    http://theflowerduet.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love drugstore make up too!!! my current favorite foundation is one by Neutrogene that also helps with acne :) thanks for sharing such a lovely post! I invite you to visit my blog and let me know if you would like to follow each other to stay in touch.
    XOXO

    Milu
    www.hellolupi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been interested in trying Neutrogena foundation out for ages now but unfortunately they don't sell their makeup line in Australia, just their skincare. Maybe one day!

      Delete
  6. Drugstore foundations are pretty bomb! I certainly want to try out something from Revlon but my skin type is dry! xx

    Jasmine Catches Butterflies ʚϊɞ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Revlon Colorstay actually comes in two formulas, one for oily/combination skin and one for dry skin. I obviously use the one for oily skin but I hear the dry skin formula is just as good :) x

      Delete
  7. I need to get my hands on the Covergirl foundation, I've heard so many great things about it x
    Ana xo anacelinelabod.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard so many positive things about the Nearly Naked foundation, it's a shame it wasn't a hit for you :( I think I'll still give it a go though as I have dry, pink-toned skin

    Style Sunrise☀

    :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like it'll be a much better match for you then! haha

      Delete
  9. Great post! I love the Revlon Colorstay as well :) such great value for money,
    -C
    Claudine Converses

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha, your holy grail breaks me out, and your miss is my holy grail! Shows that what works for someone, doesn't work for someone else :) I love that! I haven't actually tried the Covergirl Outlast yet so it might be something to look into :) Great post, loved reading your opinions :)

    Kate | themintedbeauty.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's funny how that works sometimes! :)

      Delete
  11. Great post will defiantly have to check these out.

    http://doinglifemyway.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't tried any of these 3 foundations yet, I use the Rimmel wake m up foundation and love that
    x

    Written with style | Follow me on Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear the Wake Me Up foundation is really good for dry skin types although I can't say I've tried it myself. I'm super interested in trying out the concealer from the same line though!

      Delete
  13. Ugh, every time a see a blog post that includes the Revlon colour stay, it reminds of how much I NEED to add it into my makeup collection!

    The Velvet Black // UK Style, Beauty & Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've always been a MAC girl when it comes to foundation, but I've heard so much about the Revlon foundation that I might have to check it out! By the way thank you for leaving a comment on my blog x

    She Will Be

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'd been thinking about trying the nearly naked foundation, but I don't think I'd find a good match :( xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great reviews! Sadly we dont get any of these in my country India
    xx
    www.JuneWantsItAll.com

    ReplyDelete